Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Check the price of a Coke!

One last nutella-fest for breakfast.  Deeee-lish!  Then I left my bags in Mom’s room and we took off for our last morning in town before I had to head off for my afternoon flight back to Amsterdam.

The Pantheon was closed when we were by a few nights before but it is open in the daytime.  It’s beautiful.  As with most of these landmarks though, it’s tough to get the perfect photo so I mostly just made ‘mental-photographs’ and sat back and took it all in. 
We then wandered back over to Piazza de Navona for lunch.  I learned a new lesson about eating in touristy places!  So imagine you use a pizza or a bowl of minestrone as your price gauge for how expensive a restaurant is.  You can determine which restaurants are over charging for the same thing fairly easily as you go from restaurant to restaurant.  Never did I think to check the price of a Cola Light!  I thought the waiter had made a mistake when our bill arrived after an admittedly delicious lunch.  16Euros 50 cents for drinks?  But we just had 3 Cola Lights.  Yep – 5.50 each!  Holy crap!  We got taken.  Well – now I’m wiser in that respect and will keep an eye out to include drinks in my gauge-system from now on.




A few last shops to visit on the last walk back to the hotel before heading back to the train station.  I bought myself a little purse intended to replace the M.E.C. purse I bought for $15 in 2001 for my Peru trip.  Somehow I always come back to that one but here’s hoping my ‘Italian leather purse’ can class me up a bit!

Walking to the train station to leave for the airport was tough on me.  I felt like I did when I’d come home for weekends during university at Sunday dinner knowing that I’d have to hit the road shortly and leave back to Edmonton.  I didn’t want to say goodbye to Mom and Kari.  Family is a big missing part of my life this year and it’s been a tough year.  I won’t be home at Christmas this year either but back for Susan’s wedding in March.  I was sorry that the weekend was over so fast but am glad for the 4 days we all had together.

No comments:

Post a Comment