Sunday, October 23, 2011

Memory serves

I made it back to La Roche en Ardennes and my fuzzy memory from1999 was accurate. This place is GORGEOUS!

I passed through here en route to Nadrin, the small town where our Shell basic training course was taking place years ago, the morning after a night of trying to sleep on a sticky train station bench in Liege. Even through an early morning fog, this town's landscape etched a place in my mind. A mental bookmark to try to come back and explore it some more.

So here I am, 12 years later (wow!). Jocelyn and I left The Hague around 18h30 Friday after work and 4 hours later we pulled into town and we both oohed and ahhed at the same time as the big castle on the hill came into sight. This town is going to be fun to explore in the morning.

Some parts are obviously original and old but there's been an evident splash of money in town and Jocelyn remarked on the similarities with a resort town like Whistler. Too true.

Our hotel, Le Floreal is quite the impressive building and for 40€ PP/PN including breakfast, it's a deal. I get to use my French here which is always fun though moreso now that I've noticed Dutch words bubble up into my brain.

Quote of the day: "boy those seniors can sure boogie to that polka music!"

No comments:

Post a Comment