Monday, January 30, 2012

Narrow escape from getting webbed feet!

The camping is fun here in Parque Nacional Las Alerces but the nights are proving challenging. I had another cold night but it was better than the previous night. I'm learning how to cope with what I brought. I pulled out every article of clothing I could cover myself with as my sleep sheet and borrowed, summer sleeping bag wasn't enough in this part of the country. I had three pairs of socks, my hoodie, my toque, a bandana over my nose then my sarong, a towel and my fleece serving as pseudo blankets. If only I'd brought my long underwear but those are still at Guille's place in Bahia Blanca. I honestly didn't think I'd need them!

I was treated with 'room service' this morning as Guille actually got up, went to the little store here with a thermos and brought me a coffee all doctored up with cream and sugar! Wow! What a luxury! What a great friend! What a great start to the day!

There's nothing like warm porridge after a cold night and we had gourmet porridge for the second morning in a row. Lekker! By the time we'd finished eating, the rain had stopped, the clouds thinned and the sun came out. Oh hallelujah! It was such a treat after all these days of rain, rain and more rain. I should check my toes to see if they're webbed now!


We decided to head out in the car and go exploring north. The scenery here is stunning and it reminds me a lot of Vancouver Island with all the lush forests, lakes and mountains.


We stopped in at Los Arreyanes campground to check it out. We'd heard they had a restaurant and some hammocks on a covered deck, and indeed they did. We enjoyed a coffee in the sun on the deck before heading out for a short walk along the river.

The hike we found was a 90 minute wander out to see El Abuelo, a 2600 year old arrayane tree. I nicknamed these tress 'Bambi trees' because of the rich brown coloured bark with light coloured spots. The forest with all of the trees along the river was just gorgeous.


On way out to El Abuelo, Guille and I walked and talked. On the way back we decided to go in silence. It was a brilliant suggestion. I hadn't noticed the bird songs on the way out. On the way back I heard them and payed better attention to the smells of the trees and water and just spent time with my thoughts. That's what a big part of this trip is all about.


The flowers on the arrayane tree:

No comments:

Post a Comment