Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Je n’aime pas le subjonctif!

Today was a longer day at school; we had two hour and a half classes in the morning and one hour and a half class in the afternoon. Boy – did I ever have flashbacks to junior and senior high today. It seems you always go over the same things in French classes: when to use the imparfait vs. the passé compose tenses and practice of the use of the subjunctive tense. I honestly believe that the only reason I know anything about verb tenses is because I studied French and we would go over grammar all the time. We didn’t learn much about the conditional tense or about past participles in English class, that’s for sure! Verb conjugation itself is relatively easy for me but when to employ which tense? Yuck! And, yes, this is how I chose to spend my vacation!
In the second and third classes today we had debates, one on the controversial topic of banning bullfights in Spain, one on the belief in superstitions. Even in English, I still struggle in debates. Just call me Miss Gray (vs. Black and White), or Ms. Fence Sitter, or Madame Ambivalent; I find it difficult to choose one side and really fight for it. I see both sides. Whaddya do? Come on – can’t we meet in the middle?
It turned out to be a bit of an endurance test for some of the classes today but at the same time the day did pass by fairly quickly. I’m learning a lot and am meeting some very interesting (and young!) individuals who are making interesting choices in their lives. I really wish I’d done this years ago. Why didn’t I? The answer is likely “because there are a million other things I love to do”. In that case, I’m glad I’m doing it now. I am thrilled that I have found some way to combine travel, meeting new people, learning and even a little summer sunshine too! Life is just so full of fun things to choose from! I pinch myself that I am lucky enough to have such rich and enjoyable experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment