Friday, February 24, 2012

Martial Glacier

One thing I still had left to do in Ushuaia was to go and see the glacier, Glaciar Martial. It looms over the town and makes for an amazing backdrop in any photo of the town.

It was easy enough to get to. A 30$ cab ride and a 50$ chairlift took me as close as I could get without walking (although I should have walked up the hill, it really wasn't far).

View from the chairlift looking back to town:

The next bit was up to me. I got lucky with the weather and it wasn't overly windy. That would have been awful on the chairlift. As it was, the visibility was pretty good and in a place where the weather changes every few minutes, I am grateful that for the hour and a half that I was there hiking up and down, I had sunny skies and only a slight breeze.

View of the neighbouring mountains on the hike up:

I didn't go all the way up as there was snow covering part of the path and the ranger was turning people back. I went as far as I wanted to anyway which was just to peek around the last little corner...you never know what's hiding around it!

Me, as far as I went. People above me being told to turn around:

I wandered back down the hill to get some exercise and I honestly couldnt be bothered waiting to call for a taxi. I stopped for lunch at a fancy, and oddly empty, hotel to recharge my batteries and get clarity on where the path was. If the guy hadn't seemed so convincing I would have been suspicious as the trail was a bit tricky to follow in places. Thank goodness for the yellow stripes painted on the trees.

It didn't take long to get back into town and I headed back to the hostel for a rest. This cold is gaining strength. Hmmm. Later I wandered around a bit more, had a nice homemade salad back at the hostel and caught up some emails. I'm about to be cut off for nearly two weeks. Gasp...whatever will I do?! ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment