Saturday, February 25, 2012

The travel brochure - take 2

I wasn't sure how four months in South America would go. Would it feel too long, too short, or just right? Every trip has its ups and downs and for the most part it's been fantastic. Granted, I don't write about everything. When things aren't always 'rainbows and cotton-candy' I try to look for the 'travel brochure' spin to the story. Fortunately there haven't been too many of those times.

Today's post, on the other hand, required a fair bit of editing. A brief(er) moment, if you will...

It's easy to feel a bit sorry for yourself when you're sick at home in the comfort of your own bed. I don't have a bed today since I had to check out of the hostel and can't get on the boat until later this afternoon. I have basically been forced out to wander around aimlessly with suspect equilibrium, aided only recently by newly purchased decongestants. I managed to go from coffee shop to coffee shop but it's not the same. I really just want to be miserable in my own bed today and sleep this cold away. Wah!!!

Okay, I'm done whining now...

Even if I'm sick, I'm still about to embark in the adventure of a lifetime...within THIS adventure of a lifetime. How lucky am I?!?! There ya go...THERE'S the travel brochure spin! ;o)

As I walked down the streets today or sat among tourists in cafes, I've been attentively looking at people's faces. Somewhere in the crowds are about 75-100 fellow passengers out there also anxiously waiting to board the "Antarctic Dream". Will I see that stranger again on the ship?

I've been wondering what my new travel-mates will be like. Who are these people who share this desire to see the white continent? Will they stick to themselves or be welcoming and chatty? Will they be stuffy or down-to-earth? Will they want to borrow my penguin suit?!

I am always amazed at how anonymous everyone seems at the beginning of tours. I'm definitely going to take note of that "before feeling" I get this afternoon before the ice-breaks (Oh! Ha! I crack me up!). It's always so different to the way things are at the end of the trip. I'm really looking forward to meeting these new people!

And a list of things I'm also looking forward to includes:
-seeing and hearing the whales
-walking with the penguins in my penguin suit
-swimming at Deception Island
-not having a heart-attack while doing the polar dip (which apparently I can't not do...)
-visiting my 7th continent!

Bonus:
-seeing the Aurora Australis...that would be AMAZING!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment