Friday, March 2, 2012

FOMO fail

My point-and-click is still dead, damn. At least my dSLR came back to life! I needed it too for this morning's hike at Neko Bay...at 5:30AM. We hiked up to the top of a rock at the bay and the waters were so calm that the water looked like a mirror. It was pretty magical and likely even more so because of the early hour (hard as it was to get up).


After breakfast we headed back out to Port Lockroy to see the penguins, whale bones and the old British naval base. I couldn't believe all we'd done before 13h!

It's quite the event to make a landing. It feels like most of the time is spent putting on and taking off our gear plus lining up to get on the zodiacs, disinfecting our boots and scrubbing off penguin poop on our way back in!

Here's a shot of the group lining up to head out to the zodiacs:

A nap and a shower refreshed me and it felt good to be clean again. Unfortunately it meant that I accidentally missed the humpback whale show. I only caught the tail end of their show (ha ha...so punny!) and they were showing off right at the bow of the boat only a few meters away.

For hours afterwards everyone was just raving about it. I guess I did miss out. Wah! That's a tough blow for my FOMO. That's "Fear Of Missing Out" and it's a serious condition many suffer from! ;o)

I sat with Mitch and Sara, Rich, Julian, Bram and Ursula tonight and had a great time. Lots of laughs. What a great group on board.

No comments:

Post a Comment