Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Mighty Mother Nature

The planned itinerary has changed in two ways and it's only 8AM. Because of the good weather we had crossing the Drake, we actually arrived here at about 18h last night instead of mid-morning today. Apparently this was a record time for the captain who has never had such fine weather.

That was yesterday. The winds have picked up significantly and the planned landings are doubtful. They told us that the waters are now what they call 'oveja' or sheep waters. It means there there are white swells out there that look like little sheep, and it's too dangerous to go out to Aitcho Island in the zodiacs. I'm just fine waiting on the warm boat until it's more appropriate to go outside but, sure enough, there are always those people expressing their disappointment. Sorry kids - Mother Nature is in charge down here!

They made a couple of attempts to get us out to the ice later in the afternoon and sent a zodiac to check on the safety of the landing site at Astrolabe Island. We could predict the answer from the boat as we watched them cross the waters to the island. There was just no way it was safe for us to go out.

There were some wildlife sightings from inside the boat though as we worked our way through Orleans Strait. I found it almost as interesting to watch the people's reaction to the animals as the animals.

I read and slept during the afternoon which suited me fine as I'm still not feeling great. I couldn't resist popping upstairs when they announced that we were circling a spectacular iceberg. It was snowing and tricky to get a shot but here's what I managed:

It's been interesting getting to know everyone on the boat. There are still some people I have yet to meet but for the most part I've met the majority. There are more young ones on the boat than I would have expected and of course there's the senior-contingent. There are some really lovely people that I'm enjoying getting to know. As with any big group, there are some that you have an affinity with and some you don't and some who are REAL characters! Oh my!

No comments:

Post a Comment