Thursday, May 12, 2011

A few surprises...

Ugh-we got soaked today...but it was worth it. We saw two spectacular Roman ruins, Hierapolis and Aphrodisias which were surprises to me. I was most interested in seeing the travertines at Pamakkule. I'm a big fan of Mother Nature's work. She didn't disappoint, except for the rain. But it was the Roman ruins that were really a pleasant surprise.

I can't name all the places we saw but there were graveyards, such as Necropolis, amphitheaters, stadiums, and ruins from ancient civilizations with a few spring flowers thrown into the mix. I expect I got a few great shots to blow up.

One of the things I'm noticing about the people on the trip is that they all appear to have read the itinerary! I knew I wanted to see Cappadocia and Pamakkule and everything else was bonus. Some has been so-so, like the museum of Anatolia in Anarak but others like the underground city or the ruins today have been wonderful surprises. I know I'm missing out on a lot of the knowledge I could have on the area but...well...in one ear and out the other. There's so much to know anyway. I'm honestly just enjoying the here and now.

There have been 13 of us together on the tour for several days now. A Japanese and Chinese couple, an older American couple and then 7 interesting, talented and successful single ladies of whom I am the youngest.

The other six ladies are all childless and seem to be okay about that. Some have commented that kids, and men, would be a compromise they're not sure they want. I know there are all kinds of women and different fates for each of us. I don't want their fate.

It was a late lunch which meant all the crowds has disappeared. It was a cute spot with several wood burning stoves that we all huddled around after getting so wet visiting Aphrodisias. It was a tasty spread.

Our afternoon stop was a leather factory where we were treated (subject) to a leather fashion show and a tour of the showroom. It seemed so odd, so out of place, and yet there they were, pouty, pretty Turks wearing the latest leather goods on the catwalk. Amazingly 3 ladies bought coats! I was tempted by one but was turned off by the price tag, forgetting I could barter. Ah well, I should dig out the old one I bought in Montreal and try to make it cool again!

No comments:

Post a Comment