Thursday, May 12, 2011

Hmmmm...a bus full of people this morning. Average age is about 45. What the heck is my demographic doing right now other than procreating? But, I can't complain, at least I have some people to hang out with.

We started the morning tour at 10 and went straight to museum of the Anatolian civilizations. Anatolia is apparently the Asian region of Turkey. It was okay but busy, I couldn't hear the guide and well, the dates and facts go in one ear and out the other. This was also true at the mausoleum of Anaturk - the first president of the new state of Turkey...in 1923ish. It was an amazing monument though and the museum in it was well done, if not a little heavy on war exhibits.

We had a delicious lunch before a long road journey from Ankara to the town of Urgip in the Cappadocia region. We stopped at the salt lake which was pretty interesting. Apparently it's a tectonic lake and is only 2m deep so in the summer it dries out except for a small area in the centre. Lots of salt evaporates leaving a cool scene for Google Earth to capture. The water was high today though... as was the wind! I caved and bought a warm wooly wrap at the gift shop. I didn't care about the price of about 45 TL or around 20euros. Tomorrow morning is the balloon ride and it's going to be freezing.

Our first view of Cappadocia was met with an 'oooh' from everyone on the bus. What a special part of the world. I can't wait to see it tomorrow morning at sunrise from way up high.

I'm disappointed about my hotel here though. I feel like a whiner saying 'I don't like this 5-star hotel' but it's just a big, overcrowded box in a small town. Our group is spread out over 4 hotels and the other three are ADORABLE little spots built into the hills. I chose Turkey partly because of the Cappadocia region and its balloon rides and cave hotels.  I've asked to switch, let's see what happens tomorrow.

4:40 wake up call tomorrow. Oh boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment