Sunday, August 14, 2011

Technologie!

Our last day in Paris was short as I flew to Toulouse and Andrew and Sherrin had a mid-afternoon train to catch. We started the day with the obligatory french breakfast complete with pastries and coffee. We then wandered around and went exploring and found parts of the city we'd never heard of but enjoyed very much.

We only managed to check out of the hotel then check our bags in to left luggage at Gare du Nord. We grabbed some fuel in the form of coffee, freshly squeezed orange juice and one of the best croissants any of us had had in a long time! Instead of Sacre Coeur or a mouche boat trip we opted to keep it simple a walk around near the Gare du Nord. In the end we wandered down a lovely canal and over to check out the Stalingrad memorial and the city canal which proved to be a great find, even before the sun came out which made it even better.

One glass of wine later and I had to get moving back to la Gare to hop a train to the airport. I was a bit ancy about it for some reason but I lucked out and caught a direct train to Charles de Gaulle. There are 2 terminals there and it didn't say which I needed on my ticket so I gambled and chose wrong but there's a free shuttle between the two terminals. The only problem was that my back teeth were floating and I was SO uncomfortable. Not a fun feeling. But...I made it and once I got checked in I had some time to make enquiries for Saturday's 'no-time-for-mistakes' trip from Toulouse to Split with 1 checked bag, 2 different airlines and 3 hours (in theory) between the flights.

Landing in Toulouse necessitated me shaking off the fatigue induced stupor I was in from 2 late nights and all that walking in Paris. Right...time to get behind the wheel of a car. Remember how to drive?!? Have I ever mentioned how glad I am that I know how to drive a stick shift?! Yeah - pretty much all cars here are sticks. Well, it has been a while but it came back very easily and I did well except for one flash of a speed camera. CRAP! Busted!

This is pretty country. I passes a couple of fields of sunflowers which I hope to find another one or two of to photograph tomorrow. I've seen several apple orchards and vinyards and signs for cherries. I'll be on the lookout for more tomorrow!

For now, I am content to have an early night. Two late nights in a row and I'm pooped. I have just settled in to my hotel in Caussade. It appeared to be about halfway between Toulouse and the pilates place. I didn't have a reservation for a hotel though, I decided to play it by ear...and what an odd tune it turned out to be.

I pulled into town and spotted the main hotel right away. When I walked up to the reception I dutifully noted the "tirer" sign and did not push the door. But it didn't budge. I tried again. I peered through the glass. All closed up. Nobody home. But the sign that said they were open 24h/7d. Huh? And they had signs out on the sidewalk.


Looking a little closer I noticed that it said that on Sundays the office was closed but you could use 'the machine' to pick up your keys. This was new so I looked more closely and discovered that I could use this machine in the front foyer of this hotel to make a reservation on the spot. It was just like checking in to my flight today.

How many adults? Kids? Nights? What kind of room? Breakfast? What kind of credit card? Please stand back while we print your receipt and drop your key...and not a credit cardy type key, but rather a small silver grooved key. I wasn't sure if there wasn't a hidden camera there...it was so unusual and I was shaking my head and grinning the whole time.

Checking out the room I'd have to say, 'well, at least it's clean'. And quiet...because there's NO ONE here. How odd it was to walk into this big hotel and not see a soul. How odd to be the only car in the parking lot out back. How odd to just show myself in. And if I'd planned ahead, I never would have had this odd experience. That's serendipity twice in the same day!!!

Quote of the day: I am thankful for many things in my life. Today I am particularly thankful that I don't have a gluten allergy!

No comments:

Post a Comment