Thursday, August 18, 2011

Pilates rocks!

Still loving the pilates. I simply must follow up on this when I get back. Rejoin some of Betty's classes if I can? Try the studio on Frederickstraat again? Do the Shape Pilates app exercises? Certainly when I get back to Calgary I need to find a nearby studio, preferably with some of the equipment.

For the first day, I had a private lesson. I instantly got called out on all sorts of cheats that I didn't know I was doing and what muscles are permanently tight, which aren't working enough. All good.

The last two classes I've had with Natalie which has been good. Mealanie easily goes back and forth between the two of us tailoring our exercises for my tight quads and her sore back. They're an hour long in the room overlooking the pool and the rolling hills in the distance. You couldn't ask for a more inspiring place to do something good for your body.

I'd only ever done mat classes before but I've done quite a few new exercises with the reformers. Those I can't easily do upstairs on my exercise mat at home but I'm trying to take notes on new exercises I can bring back with me.

I'm always eagerly awaiting instructions for the next exercise, even if they are killers and I end up shaking as i complete the last rep. My brain often starts to overwork: lats engaged, core strong, shoulders down, quads OFF. The hour goes by quickly and then as the day progresses certain muscles start to make their presence known. I went to shoo a fly off my back yesterday and could hardly reach back. Ah, but it's such a good kind of sore and I'm furthering my goal of popping the bubble wrap covering my six-pack...if only I could stop eating those gorgeous French pastries Melanie picks up for us and the bread and wine which is in endless supply here.




When I went to town yesterday I asked how much I owed Melanie for the extra night and was surprised to hear 200€ until I remembered that I'd made the original transfers in sterling. Hmm...200€? It sounds steep but when you consider a (semi-) private pilates lesson at what? 50€? Three meals, with at least a 4 course dinner, and limitless wine, coffee, fruit and snack that might run you another 40-60€. Then there are the incredibly cozy and large rooms with everything you'd need plus the pool, the scenery, the tranquility? Yep, that is worth the money and it's been such a find that I'm thrilled that no one else's is coming tonight so I could extend my stay by one extra night.

No comments:

Post a Comment