Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Bliss...

Just had my first pilates class with Melanie. It was so good! If seeing the farmhouse and countryside where Les Tilleuls is located didn't give me that frisson saying "Oh yes!", today's class locked in the feeling that I have come to the right place.



It's obvious that I've been able to cheat in Betty's classes. One-on-one means no cheating! I had no idea I used my hip flexors and quads so much when engaging my 'power-house'. We used the machines which I'd only ever tried once. I like them. Yep, I feel good. I feel like I've earned my day.


It also strikes me that this is a classic case of me liking what I'm good at. Okay, I'm no great pilates star but I'm far more capable of doing pilates than yoga. I'm drawn to what I'm good at. That makes sense but I'm aware of how limiting that can be. You can't instantly be good at everything. Many things need work and practice and then they become more rewarding. Am I really a instant gratification kind of person? Or am I just never going to like yoga?! And why am I trying to force it?
     
True, I need to stretch more and work on my flexibility. Running forces that issue. If i don't stretch, i don't walk properly the next day. The added bonus with running is that it burns the calories I eat in Haribo gummies!

True, yoga allows the mind to relax and helps you disconnect from the outside world. I can get that with massage. In a good massage session I can have an almost out of body experience. My breathing slows, my mind wanders and I'm present, I feel all the muscles being worked, and yet I'm elsewhere. I say I go to 'la-la land'. That is the zen I seek.

So we can get our bliss in many places. For a vast number of people, yoga seems to be that one-stop-shop for flexibility, strength, relaxation and an inner journey. For me, I seem to prefer mixing and matching several activities to get that benefit. I'm okay with that!

No comments:

Post a Comment