Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Pampero and quinoa

We left El Encuentro today after lunch. The morning was spent willing my clothes back into their bags. Where's Mary Poppins when you need her?

We also spent time tidying the house and staring out the window at the sudden and strong wind followed by heavy bouts of rain, a result of a phenomenon called 'El viento Pampero'. As we were washing dishes there was a round the rains and I had to chuckle at the neighbours running out to get their laundry off the line in a hurry. Some experiences are shared across borders and languages!

We got into Guille's apartment building around 17:30 in time to have more pastellitas and cafe con leche. So good. We needed the energy to make it through all the errands we had to run to get ready for the camping trip.

We sorted out the car rental. We picked things up at friends' who were generous enough to contribute to our adventure. We went shopping at the health food store where we stocked up on yummy and strange items I'd never seen before. I was holding my breath when the bill came given all that caught our fancy. Only 110$!!! (about $25) We would have easily paid about $50 at a north american health food store. Score!

The photo below shows a collection of some of what we bought. I included it here because the word 'fideo' (meaning noodle) is on the label. Fideo is the nickname I gave a dear friend of mine and couldn't resist snapping a photo of his name in print! (quando seran los fideos juntitos otra vez?)


It was amazing to run these errands with Guille and her mom because I quickly discovered that Bahia Blanca is a small town. Cochrane used to be like this; a town where it takes fifteen minutes to make a five minute trip. They know so many people and Guille and her mom are very extraverted and chatty. Her mom hosts a local TV show here too so she's quite well known. It was interesting to watch them light up when they turned around to see someone else they knew followed by big hugs and kisses on the cheek, a warm Argentinian way of greeting people. In my mind, Canadians have a lot to learn.

The last shop before dinner in town with Oscar (Ale's boyfriend) was the local Walmart! That was trippy! Aside from signs and announcements in spanish, oh and almost half an aisle dedicated to the Yerba herb used for mate, I could have been anywhere in Calgary or North America! Sometimes it's nice to be somewhere where you feel comfortable when so far away from home. I just never expected that place to be a Walmart!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not too many pictures today so I thought I'd include a photo from the other day that I really liked. I've been trying to stick to a limit of four photos per day, max. This is a great opportunity to stick in one that didn't make it on a previous day. It's of some of the flowers in the neighbour's garden in Sierra de la Ventana.

No comments:

Post a Comment