Sunday, January 22, 2012

Villa Ventana and a food-athon!

I will be in serious trouble if I continue to eat as much as I have been.

Today I had my first parilla - an Argentinian barbecue with several chunks of meat known as asados. So much for being a 'boutique vegetarian'! Our lunch table at the Mirador near Sierra de la Ventana was full with fries, salad, wine and then meat, meat and more meat. In addition to helping Guille and her mom with some of their asado, I had a milenesa (like a wiener schnitzel) with lots of lemons, yummy!


The day started at ten again for me. Hey! I'm on vacation! After breakfast we got ourselves sorted to head over to Villa Ventana and the BBQ restaurant. That was followed by a drive around Villa Ventana where we all picked out a favourite little cabins. It's a gorgeous little town and I was reminded of a long-standing dream of mine to own land somewhere and build a cabin. This town is a bit too far from Calgary but boy was I impressed! Oddly enough, what I loved most was the smell of pine trees.

As if we hadn't eaten enough, we then stopped for tea and cakes with their neighbours at 17:30. It was delicious but I felt the need to go for a long walk...only it was really hot and we had other things to do such as stopping in at some local craft stores to snoop, stop at some good photo spots at sunset (it seems to be hitting the peaks of the Sierras around 20:20) and then driving back.


While I could have easily gone to bed, we couldn't go to bed without dinner! Fortunately we were all on the same page and ate lightly. Still, this Argentinian way of life of eating late and then rolling into bed is definitely not according to my natural rhythm. I'm curious to see how well I adapt before heading home though. Four months is a long enough time to potentially get re-programmed!

No comments:

Post a Comment