Thursday, January 26, 2012

Peninsula de Valdes

Today in the car, Guille asked me 'so what are we going to remember from Puerto Piramides?'. My first thought was wind and flying-suitcases, referring to the middle of the night near-miss with her suitcase being catapulted by the wind within inches of my face.

It's hard to get the tent pegs to stick in sand dunes! Needless to say we watched attentively as our neighbours packed up in the morning. We actually dragged our tent, assembled with contents, 20m to our new spot where the pegs got some bite. The forecast read 55km winds after all - there's no point risking the tent becoming a kite!


In addition to our associations with the Peninsula de Valdes, Guille added openness, emptiness (of the landscape), clear blue skies, and solitude. It's really barren here and we're so far away from any cities...it's a wonderful escape.


Normally whales and sea lions come to this UNESCO world heritage site to breed and birth but now isn't the right time of year. Too bad. Still, the sea lions we saw sleeping on the beach were kinda cool. The penguins, the first of many on this trip, we're pretty darned cute too!


We drove almost 200km around the peninsula braving sand storms and thickly gravelled roads. Guille gave me a Spanish lesson as I drove back and I can now handle the regular verbs ending in 'ar' in the past tense, single person plural! The daily breakthroughs I'm making are incredible!!! Soon I'll sound like a four year old instead of a three year old! I can't wait.


No comments:

Post a Comment