Monday, March 5, 2012

Last Day

Today is our last day on the 'Antarctic Dream'. I'm not ready to leave yet but I guess it's time. Meal conversations are changing from 'where have you been' to 'where are you going' and 'have you packed yet' or 'I sure wish I had something clean to wear'!

Shortly after breakfast they announced that we were sailing past the famous Cape Horn. It's the most southerly tip of South America and many ships have perished in the vicinity. Here's Jemma and I on deck with Cape Horn over my right shoulder.

And here's the map the captain was keeping current with our route progress.

The seas were calmer today. I was almost disappointed though I know many were very relieved. Julian managed to do his lecture on Antarctic explorers today. Shackleton really did have an amazing story! They also showed us the last episode of Frozen Planet which highlighted scientific research at the South Pole. That certainly piqued my interest and has planted some seeds in my ever busy brain.

There was a slideshow just before dinner with pictures Cristina took of all of us and all we saw. She's got a great eye - it was inspiring. They also presented the logbook/diary they put together for us with details of the whole trip. It will make a great souvenir.

We all got prettied up (to the best of our ability given what we'd packed) for the cocktails and celebration dinner.


The crew gave some short speeches and it has to be said they did an amazing job! Here are most of them:

It was the usual suspects at dinner (Jemma, Rich, Mitch, Sara and Julian) plus Team Netherlands, Bram and Will.

After dinner the drinks kept coming and at one point every chair that wasn't chained down ended up at our table for a big came of 'Mexico'! It was a fun drinking game that caused many people to clock out early! Thank goodness for beginner's luck! Then again, there were still a couple of us up at 2:30 and the 6:30 wake up call was just around the corner. At least I made the most of my last day on the ship!

No comments:

Post a Comment