Friday, March 9, 2012

Grumpy y los colectivos

This is about the fifth version of this blog entry! After coming off such a high after my Antarctica trip, these past few days have been a bit more difficult. I've been grumpy about a lot lately and whenever I sat down to write I noticed I was only moaning. Not cool.

It happens - trips have ups and downs. Thank goodness for Guille who is such a positive person and always makes me smile. Still, it seems that I've misplaced my sense of humour. I really need to keep better track of it - I hate losing important things!

When I left Buenos Aires to fly to Ushuaia on the 25th of February I was sad to leave it. It's a big city but it was growing on me. These days it's feeling more like a hostile, concrete jungle that is leading to feelings of claustrophobia.

It turns out the apartment Guille is staying at isn't exactly close to the key routes for public transportation so I have done a lot more walking than I planned. My feet are sore and the heat is taking the stuffing out of me. Every day I need a nap and I fall asleep hard!

To minimize the walking, I've explored more on the 'colectivos'. That's what the porteƱos call their city buses. The price is right, for sure. The most expensive ride I've had is 1.75$ but most are 1.20 (that's about 30 cents!!!).

I've been 'sploring with the #12, #105, and other random buses whose destinations were really unknown. My strategy was to hop on a bus that advertised going in the general direction I wanted to go. It was always a gamble!

I would keep up with where we were with my mini-map and I would get off when I figured I was as close as I was likely to get. I always ended up walking a bit on either end of my journey but I'm slowly figuring it out. I do appreciate that jumping on buses and seeing where they go isn't for everyone but it's part of the fun learning a new city! Try it sometime!

In my few days back I've been out to La Viruta for a milonga with Guille and Margaret, I went to a tango class at the school, and I've 'lunched'. I had lunch with Jemma one day, Margaret another and then Guille and her mom another day. It's nice to have 'people' in a city I'm only visiting.

The apartment where we're staying is very comfortable and the price per night is very reasonable (0$!). I've been earning my keep with groceries and wine so it should be okay. Unfortunately there is no wifi at the apartment. That hasn't stopped us from trying to 'acquire' it though. We've been perching on the corner of the balcony trying to get access to one of the neighbour's networks, reminiscent of tuning TV bunny-ear-antennae trying to get a signal!!! After being away for so long there are some things I need to catch up on...I need my fix!!! :o). Too bad it's a decent hike to the nearest cafe with wifi too. Bah!

In any case - that's enough negativity. I think I blame the full moon we had on the 8th. Fortunately it has passed and in the words of Scarlet O'Hara, "Tomorrow is another day!" (Soooo cheesey, I know. Huh...maybe my sense of humour isn't completely lost. Bad jokes are my specialty!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment