Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Easing back into the real world

It really was an Antarctic Dream...

...I wasn't really ready to come back to civilization. I've really enjoyed disconnecting from the real world. No email, no Facebook, no news, no problems or stresses. Only a small part of me was curious to know what, if anything, had happened in the world while I've been gone. Very little as it turns out.

We disembarked from the ship around 8:30 this morning and most of us said our goodbyes. Some of us were headed straight to the airport, others were staying in Ushuaia a bit longer. My flight wasn't scheduled until 15:40 so I headed into town and hung out with Jemma, Mitch and Sara by the water front and then at the Ramos General cafe for a nice coffee.

A quiet morning in Ushuaia:

Once Mitch and Sara left, Jemma and I got a wifi-fix before I went with her to get her bag and hail a cab to the airport. Boy - it's a really good sign that after ten days at sea were not both saying 'ummm...yeah...catch ya later' but rather were happy to keep hanging out until the end. I appreciate how lucky I was to have such a good roommate and I wonder where our paths will cross again.

It turns out I crossed paths with many others from the ship in town shortly after I wandered down San Martín. I saw Paul in fine form wearing his boots and skirt with bare legs. Ushuaia must have must have felt balmy by comparison to Antarctica. Then I saw Mitch and Sara again - only briefly though. You can only say goodbye so many times and I will very likely see them in Canada again before the end of the year. I ended up having lunch with Carola and Cristina which was lovely. And finally I saw Hilde again before I had to head out to the airport.

After checking in I had plenty of time to wait. I caught my reflection in a glass window and noticed I was sitting at a decent angle from vertical. I'd been feeling a bit off all day and I then wondered if I wasn't having the 'land sickness' after being at sea for so long!

It was a long flight back to BA. Martino (aka Dr. Beiber) was on the flight back with me and it was nice to have someone to talk to at the airport and during the layover in Rio Gallegos (30 mins is about as long as I'd want to spend there anyway!).

This time when I landed I gave the taxi driver the address to the flat where Guille is staying for a while now that she's in BA for a while. It was great to catch up with her and her mom though it was brief as I was absolutely exhausted. I'm glad I have a few days to chill in BA before my next adventure with Captain Zach.

No comments:

Post a Comment