Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The arrival of Captain Zach

I spent a deliciously lazy morning at the hotel. I had breakfast in the dining room of the hotel with this inspiring view of Lago Argentino:

I organised a few things, paid some bills (reality can't entirely be avoided on this trip), and Skyped with Mom and Dad and later with Jocelyn. It was good to get caught up a bit. I do miss friends and family!

News from home: Susan is having a boy! She's due around June 6th now. How exciting! Does this mean I'll be an uncle?!? ;o)

The hotel:

I walked into town mid-afternoon which took much longer than I expected. It took a while to figure out where I was as none of the roads have street signs. They were all gravel roads too, except for the old airport landing strip (check out El Calafate on Google Maps - its pretty cool).

A view of El Calafate:


By the time I reached town I was pretty hungry so I stopped at a cute little cafe. There I ordered a licuado and a ham and cheese crepe which sounded promising but ended up disappointing me. I somehow felt violated when the bill arrived for 76$ (~$19) for a lunch I didn't really enjoy. I am definitely in a tourist town!

Of course in a tourist town, there are many tourists and wouldn't you know it, I happened to run into Katharina and Marco from the Antarctic cruise! We grabbed a coffee and caught up a bit.

It was perfect timing as I'd been researching tours to the glacier for tomorrow and I knew they'd been. The tours were upwards of 680$ which seemed steep. They recommended NOT taking a tour and gave me tips on how to put it together on our own. Sorted! And no bus full of tourists. Brilliant!

When I got back to the hotel I saw Babe in the parking lot and knew Zach had arrived. Hurrah! We caught up quickly and then dove right into all the details of what the next part of the trip will look like. My 'next chapter of Operation Penguin' is his '4x4: Phase C'. We're both having adventures in South America and it's great to combine efforts and do this road trip together. Sounds like we've got 3000km to cover in a couple of weeks. That's a lot of driving but I'm excited and I get to ride in Babe! Too much fun!

My first ride in Babe!

No comments:

Post a Comment