Thursday, March 15, 2012

More ice?!

I was just in Antarctica. You'd think I'd seen enough ice and snow to last me a lifetime. Ah...but Glaciar Perito Moreno is different.

Its advance of up to 2m a day makes it one of the fastest moving glaciers in the world. As a result, many chunks of ice break off daily with spectacular cracking sounds followed by falling, splashing and bobbing of the ice. It was fun watching for the bergs to calf. Zach and I were hypnotized watching and waiting. We watched one big crack grow over the hour or so that we were there and eventually it got so big that the ice broke off of the glacier and fell in to the lake. It made our day to see it.


After we wandered along the walkway, we went down to the pier to take an hour boat ride which took us even closer to the glacier. I took SO many pictures and I will have to delete many of them, but I think I have a few nice ones in the batch to work with!

From the walkway:

From the boat:

Zach working on Babe in anticipation of tomorrow's departure in an inspiring location:

No comments:

Post a Comment