Saturday, March 31, 2012

Diesel and Dust wind-down

Back up to 45'C inside Babe, windows are down, down to one speaker, cruising to house music with junk food at our disposal. This is a real road trip! Too bad it ends tonight.

Big day! Zach crossed the 10000km mark today in Babe! He has a long way to go before reaching Columbia but he's roughly at the halfway mark of his journey. For me, it marks the 3200km mark of "Diesel and Dust".

Today's extra-curricular activity was a stop at the Lapostolle Clos Apalta winery. It's in the Colchagua valley near Santa Cruz, a big wine area. It was an impressive facility and they make good wine but it was expensive to taste 3 wines - 20k$. Hmmm.


After all these kilometres, I finally took a turn at the wheel.

Right after the wine tasting may not have been ideal timing though! It was my first time driving on the right side of the car on the right side of the road. It took some thinking but I did alright after a few hiccoughs! I probably only drove 15km in total but I was perfectly happy with that...and I was pretty sure Zach wanted his baby back anyway!

As a result of my time behind the wheel, I earned my stripes!


The scenery has changed a lot on this trip! Glaciers, dirt roads in the pampas, gorgeous lakes, ripio on the Carretera Austral, mountains, volcanoes, lush forests and now...concrete!

Santiago was a real surprise. I didn't really have any expectations of it prior to today. I was very impressed with how clean, organized and modern it is. We stayed in Las Condes which is a very nice area. I expect I'm seeing one of the nicer parts of Santiago but my first impressions were very favourable.

2 comments:

  1. I had to add a comment! I've been following along as much as I can and I'm living vicariously through you. Sounds like you're having a blast. You look fabulous in the photos!
    Mwah!
    Can you post a 'special" photo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watch for it, chickie. I'll keep you reading and watching for it...a la M&M clause!

    ReplyDelete