Sunday, April 1, 2012

Crossing the Andes

It was my own fault. I was just killing time in the morning before my 13:40 bus to Mendoza.

I started the day by having brunch with Zach and his cousin Rob who'd just flown in from the States and who would be the next 'victim'/co-pilot. After I said goodbye I figured I should see a bit of Santiago before leaving. I went for a walk along the river and stumbled upon the Santiago Marathon.

I walked along and watched for a while. I was right near the 37km mark and while some runners made it look easy, others looked like they were in so much pain. It was a good day for the event, around 25'C, and there were lots of participants and supporters cheering on the sidelines. There were even more drivers honking in frustration at the main street being closed off and having to find alternative routes.

It still didn't register with me.

When I got back to the hotel at 13h I caught a taxi to the bus station ~7.5km away. Plenty of time, right? It was the taxi driver's face when I told him that my bus was in forty minutes that put the pieces together for me. Uh oh! I had to go through that traffic too!

He got me there with quite the crazy drive though the streets. I ran to dock 22 at 13:50 and breathed a sigh of relief when I saw that they were still loading cargo. Thank you Mr. Taxi Driver and thank you Universe!

And this was a drive I didn't want to miss.

Look at some of these views I saw from the bus window:

It was a beautifully clear day and I had a spectacular view of the Andes and Aconcagua - South America's highest peak.




Andean sunset:

The trip was supposed to take 7 hours but in fact it took 8 hours. I'm sure a big part of that was the hour at customs and immigration. Traffic into the city was pretty crazy too. I was baggage when I finally arrived at my home stay house and it wasn't long before it was lights out. It was a school night after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment