Thursday, August 25, 2011

Expectation Management



Hmm...having to deal with some disappointments. When I started researching how long it would take to get to Dubrovnik estimates between 3and 4 hours came up. But it's only 180km?! Wah! With the heat and a 9 year old, that just doesn't sound like a nice day! Bah!




So then I thought maybe sea-kayaking. Darned if I can find anywhere to rent them. I got a lead on the nearby town of Brela but when we went there and asked at the tourist information centre, the girl said she didn't know...she didn't live there. Ummm...sure...thanks. So off we went to Makarska which is referred to as a Riviera. It was pretty and had a nice boulevard but it also had obnoxious hotels and the beaches were PACKED! Kari and I both commented that where we're staying is more our style.




We found places to parasail, rent jet-skis, scuba dive and rent bikes but we didn't find any mention of sea kayaks. I must give up my search and relax and enjoy what we do end up doing.

So today, the day we were going to go in to Dubrovnik, we had a morning and afternoon swim at our gorgeous little swimming spot and we had lunch in Makarska. There we go. I imagine Riley and I are going to have another marathon Tetris-Magic session tonight while Kari's out working out. Ten we'll have a low key dinner. We're not big foodies so we're all happy enough with sandwiches for dinner. I'm sick of eating out anyway and with two weeks in Houston coming up, if I'm not careful, nothing's going to fit. I put on a simple t-shirt today and it felt constrictive. We are living in our "uniforms" and eating up a storm. Dangerous!





We saw dolphins! They were swimming parallel to our beach and we saw them when we got back up to the apartment at the end of the day. We spotted three for sure. Kari was so excited! We kept hoping they'd jump for us but we were still pretty happy with their swimming so close to the surface of the water for us to catch a glimpse. Now except for the dalamatian dogs, we've seen all the wildlife we'd hoped to!




No comments:

Post a Comment