Friday, August 26, 2011

The Highway Downstream



Wow, this 10-11 hours of sleep every night is delicious! We're not setting alarms and we're just sleeping as long as we need. Bed between 22h-23h and up usually around 9. It seems like I am the one sleeping through most of the night although the first few nights I would wake because it was like an oven in the back room and I only had a fan. Kari and Riley were dealing with some jet lag so despite being out in the main, climate-controlled room, they were waking up around 5AM fairly regularly.






Today the rough plan is to go back to the restaurant where we finished up our rafting and go for a swim in the river and then have lunch there. Then we'll come back here to hang out at the sea as much as possible. We have to leave tomorrow! WAH!




Except for some mixed signals from Michael and Dana and the annoying German guy who wouldn't share his air mattress (we bought our very own yesterday...so there!), it's been quite lovely to stay here. The place is fine. It's clean, it's big enough, we have a kitchen and a balcony with a stunning view. We can get wi-fi down by the pool and we can get access to a great little swimming spot that we only have to share with a couple dozen people instead of a couple hundred or thousand at the other places we've been to.




Our first destination after breakfast was the restaurant by the river in the Cetina valley. We wandered along the paths looking for the perfect swimming hole. It didn't exist. But...wee found a decent spot which ended up getting su bier over the course of the hour that we were there.




Getting into the water was pretty tricky. It was cold. That's refreshing if you're dying of heat but we hadn't soaked up enough sunshine at that point. It was slow going. One I got in it was nice and Riley and I played in the currents, driving upstream and that catching the 'highway' back downstream. We lasted about an hour and then headed back for lunch (oh dear...pizza again!)




Omis really is our favorite little spot. It is an adorable town nestled at the base of some limestone cliffs. The tree lined boulevard though the main street and the maze-like side streets makes it quite intriguing. We stopped on our way back from swimming at the river so Kari could buy some souvenirs for Robert and Julio. Afterwards we were all pretty eager to hit our beach again and hang out for the rest of the afternoon.




We set up camp on the little pier we'd been sitting on all week. Riley was off jumping off the cliff for the umpteenth time and he was trying to get Kari to give it a go. I had jumped from cliffs but I just don't like it. I know that about myself! I'm okay with that! So, instead, I floated around on the air mattress.




When I got out of the water one of the locals was there so I said hi. As soon as he saw that the stuff on the pier belonged to me he started yammering on in German about the pier being for diving, not for sitting on. Harrumph. Really?! There was no one else there and yikes, we'd been sitting in that very spot for a week. Crap. I wasn't impressed and he knew it. Good God. Did it really matter? What is this with Europeans and their rules...well except for those related to queueing. Grrr. Another unpleasant experience. Sigh!




Back up at the apartment I read while Riley played Angry Birds and Kari chilled before her workout. Then when she went out, I packed. Man, did I ever fail with this trip's pack job. I feel almost embarrassed at the amount of crap I brought. But bringing it is one thing, not using it is another. BAD me. 22kg too. Duh!




After Kari's workout we all went down to the jumping rock for sunset. We should have done that more often. It was so peaceful and quiet there. The light was amazing and I got some good photos. I got some videos too actually...of Kari finally making herself jump off the rock lest Riley call her a chicken forevermore!

No comments:

Post a Comment