Sunday, August 21, 2011

Kari and Riley made it!

It was so hot last night! I had a fan going but I woke up several times because the air so so heavy and stifling. My room is the only one wi the fan, I think Kari will die in the other bedroom without a fan. Hmmmm...

I got up at 9:30 and had a nice breakfast on the terrace then got. Yself sorted and down to the beach for 10:30, this time with my converse shoes so that I didn't hurt the bottoms of my feet. I grabbed an air mattress from below Michael and Gordana's place and found a nice little spot to set up camp for a little while down by the water.

The water initially feels cold but once I got in it actually felt warm. Getting in is a quick process since the water was swirling around so much that the nether-regions got initiated with one good crashing wave in and around the rocks. This is not your typical white sand beach but rather a rock coast with a few access areas that people have really made the most of. There are concrete stairs that give you access to the next bay or that have been put in to the side of a boulder so that you can get to the top to perch for a while. There are little concrete 'docks' that you can lie on and the are even hand rails in the rocks to help you get in...which I needed to have used when I slipped on some seaweed.

I didn't have too long to play since I needed to get back up to the pool and check my mail from Kari (who wasn't thrilled to be reminded about the AMS-ZAG-SPL route), grab some lunch and get cleaned up. Then there was that MASSIVE hill I had to drive up that had me feeling rather apprehensive. The whole way up I prayed that no one was coming down and literally chanted my mantra out loud: you can do this, you can do this. And I did...but would NOT wanted to have met someone along the way! Oy!

It was a much easier drive going back to Split. Thank God there were no accidents. It's true too that the return journey never feels as long. I now wonder if I haven't wasted 100€ for the week on a GPS too. Ha! But I'll definitely need it for the trip into Dubrovnik.

I made it with almost 50mins to spare so I took advantage of the time to stop at a Lidl which is a big grocery store. That was a fun way to kill time and I picked us up some goodies. What I didn't realize is how close to the airport turnoff the shop is though so I accidentally headed into Trogir and nearly goit caught in a huge traffic jam ten minutes before they landed. Gulp! I made it back out of town and to the turnoff in time to see their plane in its landing approach. I'm such a sap and got all choked up.

I couldn't hold the tears back when I finally saw them through the glass in the domestic arrivals area. Yay! My family is here! And so while they weren't thrilled to find out that they had another hour of travel, we got caug up in the car and back to the apartment around 17h30...in time for a pre-dinner swim.

I didn't realize the water would be so choppy at this time of day, the winds had shifted. No matter, Kari and I had air mattresses and Riley's a fish! It was a challenging first dip but it was still pleasant and hey...here we are at the Dalmatian coast! No complaints!

Dinner was a simple buffet of bread and cheese, tomatoes and bacon for sandwiches...so yummy! We'll likely go out for other dinners but it was good to keep this one low key and home based because I knew they'd want to crash after dinner, which, indeed they did! Well earned though...it had been a long day.

No comments:

Post a Comment