Friday, January 20, 2012

Tengo calor!!!

I could have skipped breakfast and slept ALL day. The snooze on my iTouch is only for 5 minutes (I gotta fix that!) and between each of the many times I hit it, I fell right back to sleep and even carried on with my dreams. I'm on vacant dammit! However...breakfast was only until 10:30. Sidenote: it starts at 6:30...seriously. We got home at 2AM, most people are up really late...who the hell is up for breakfast at that hour?!

Given that I needed to be at the domestic airport for my flight to Bahia Blanca at about 15:30, therefore leaving the hotel around 14:30 (way earlier than necessary as it turns out), I had about 2 1/2 hours to wander around this afternoon by the time I got myself sorted.

I wandered down Calle Florida, a busy pedestrian mall near my hotel taking me south to San Telmo. After about 5 minutes in the heat I knew I was going to melt. I knew I should have put sunscreen on my neck. I knew I should buy an umbrella. I didn't do any of those, so I walked in the shade and drank a lot of water. I walked to the point where I wanted to stop but didn't see anywhere to sit so I carried on in a daze until I got to the Plaza de Mayo (pronounced majo!) and found a seat in the shade by a fountain near the Casa Rosada. 35'C takes some getting used to but I was grateful for the breeze!

I carried on a little while later up Diagonale Norte to the obelisk on Avenue 9 Julio and stopped in at a funky restaurant for a bite. It's quite a pretty city and the architecture in this part is a great mix of old and new. The old colonial buildings are absolutely stunning. I understand why is place is called the Paris of the South.

My flight to Bahia Blanca was quick though I managed one of those power naps where you don't know how long your head has been kinked in that awkward position and you know it's going to hurt to right it!

Guille was there to meet me and somehow she even managed to say hello before I'd retrieved my bags by sweet-talking the guard to let her in to say hi! I got weepy when I saw her as it's been such a long journey to get here and I knew that now I got to relax a bit, that I'd be taken care of in the company of a dear friend. They were tears of happiness for sure!

It was an hour drive to Sierra De La Ventana where she has recently built a gorgeous little home. The drive started out in fairly flat, boring plains and then the hills and popped out and we headed towards them.

I'm looking forward to exploring a bit more tomorrow. All I had the energy for was a shower and dinner...and some cherry-pit spitting under the stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment