Sunday, February 12, 2012

Chau to Horseshoe Willy!

I stared at my backpack then at my clothes. I scratched my head looking at my suitcase then back at my backpack. I hadn't really bought anything new to pack. How on earth did they go in there in the first place?!

That debate, and eventual narrow victory, lasted most of the morning. Packing, a photo exchange with Guille, a nice lunch and the car return took us to 15h. (As predicted the car rental guys told Guille not to worry about the car door's broken lock as a result of the break in!!!)

It was tough to say goodbye to Guille and her mom, Alejandra, at the airport today. They were so good to me and they were such wonderful hosts. I know I will see them again soon so it was more of a 'see you later' (or make that an 'hasta luego') than goodbye!

Hasta luego, chica!

It's only an hour to BA from Bahia Blanca. Less if you have a snooze! ;o) I was back in BA before I knew it and based on the advice from Guille and Ale, I took a private taxi to my new 'home'. It was only 76$ (the price of the coffees and pastries I bought at the Bahia Blanca airport) and given I had all my earthly possessions with me (those not in a container in a Canada Customs storage lot) I went for the 'better safe than sorry' mode of transport.

I chatted with Adrian, my driver, on the way in and explained that I was going to be starting school the next day and that I was going to be staying at a home arranged by the school. Madame Matilde was expecting me around 21h.

Adrian seemed friendly enough but when he dropped me off in front of the door and drove off without confirmation that I was at the right place, he lost some serious points in my book. It was dark, there were no names marked on the door, I had no phone number, no phone. So much for being a gentleman! Fortunately the information I had from the school is reliable and I figured out which buzzer was hers.

Madame Matilde, or Matu, met met downstairs since you don't just 'buzz' people in here. Interesting! She welcomed me into her apartment and introduced me to her dog, Lula.

I think Lula is a breed closely related to the German Shepard. It's a breed apparently known for spinal problems because Lula can't really walk. Her back two legs don't work most of the time. It's so sad to see but she is good company for Matu who lives on her own. She mentioned a son so I wonder if she is a widow. Maybe I'll figure that out as the week goes on.

In any case, it was a school night and I was exhausted! My new 'cama' was calling me! I passed out in a matter of minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment