Saturday, February 18, 2012

A Saturday in Palermo

A lazy day today! Yay! I slept in and then Skyped with Guille over breakfast. Afterwards I took a deep breath and called Apple support to sort out issues with my account and the password reset problems I'd been having. It took over half an hour but we got it sorted and I feel much better. It had been niggling at me and I figured I should take advantage of the time and the wifi to "just do it"!

While skyping with Guille this morning, she asked me if I'd been to Plaza Serrano yet. Nope! As with the library/theatre the other day, I was open to suggestions and has no other plans. Done - decision made.

I hopped on my first 'collectivo' (=city bus, fare=1.20$ or about 30 cents!!!) and had the driver tell me where to get off. My feet are a bit beat-up right now with all the walking I've been doing and every pair of shoes I have has given me a sore spot somewhere. When I realized I had to walk almost a kilometer to get to the plaza from the bus stop, I took a deep breath, and many delicate steps.

I was pleasantly surprised - it was worth it! It's a funky little hood with shops, boutiques, a market, restaurants, cafes and FABULOUS people watching opportunities!!! I knew there had to be more to BA than I had seen so far in the Congreso area.

Plaza Serrano's Saturday market:

I wandered, stopped for lunch, looked in some shops, wandered, stopped in for my afternoon licuado, and wandered some more. What a great way to spend a day in the city!

Cobbled, tree-lined streets:

In front of a kids toy store:

In the evening I decided to go see "The Artist". It's the silent, black-and-white film that generated so much Oscar buzz. I loved it! And it was interesting to check out a movie theatre in another country. Little things like the ridiculous queues and people trying to jump the queues are common everywhere. The 'shushing' when the movie started and when someone got a phone call was impressive - they didn't just let that kind of rudeness go. The theatre itself was immaculate and beautiful. The seats in the theatre were leather and reclined backwards. Nice.

The day was topped off with a walk past a carnavale street band and dancers living it up on Corrientes at 22h30 on my way home. I do love the drums and whistles. I stayed for a bit to watch the dancers and the crowds and then took a few more tender steps home.

No comments:

Post a Comment