Monday, April 16, 2012

Eau de Deet

If I listen carefully I can hear the high pitched squeals of delight the mosquitos are making. The feast has begun. I can only do so much to protect myself from their bites yet I despise DEET. I remember sitting on a chair after applying it one time and finding the chair's paint transferred to the back of my legs afterwards! Blech!

But that's the joy of being in the jungle which is where I now find myself. The flight to Puerto Iguazu was only an hour and a half and yet I am in a whole other world!

I'm checked in to Hostel Park Iguazu for two nights but it's quiet here and I know if I want to stay longer it won't be a problem. The question is whether or not I want to stay. The room is a bit sad but it's en-suite and clean enough. We'll see. For $20/nt I can't really expect much.

I went on a quick reconnaissance trip into town today. It's a good size and outside of the main centre are lovely rock-paved streets.

The only thing I really had to do today was to stop by the info centre to ask about a few things, including what the story with the Brazilian visa is. Argh. The Canadian government travel page has some misleading information about a 'reciprocity visa'. It says that if I get my visa for Argentina then I'm good to go to neighbouring countries, including Brazil, without needing a specific visa for each country.

I went on that information until today at which point I received the opposite information, from 3 sources. So! That's that. No going to the Brazilian side. I guess if I'd REALLY wanted to go, I would have done my homework better. Ah well - I know it'll be good on the Argentinian side too.

The number of people who asked me today if I was traveling on my own was funny. They seem surprised or sad for me. I'm so used to it now I don't give it much thought. While I'd much prefer to have a travel buddy, I haven't been alone much. I've had Guille and Zach to have little adventures with but I've also met a bunch of people while venturing out on my own. Unfortunately, I have yet to meet the hot-solo-thirtysomething-male traveller. I've resigned myself to accept that he just doesn't exist!

As it is I had dinner with Julia and Henriette from the school in Mendoza tonight. I'm so glad our paths crossed again. They're both lovely and after a week and a half apart we had so much to catch up on! Including our beef and wine intake! Yikes!

Needless to say, doggie bags were required! I guess dinner for tomorrow is sorted then!

No comments:

Post a Comment