Thursday, April 12, 2012

Palermo

I've been to Palermo about four times now and I really like the 'hood! I like the look and feel of the place. I know without a doubt that I couldn't live in BA longterm but if I ended up here for a time, this is somewhere I'd definitely consider. As it is, it's about a half hour walk from the apartment on Diaz Velez...which in BA seems close.

While Guille did yoga, I went zen with a fabulous hour long massage. What a treat. Afterwards we refuelled on caffeine, licuados and pastries and then poked into all sorts of funky shops. There are so many shops here that a 200m walk can easily take half an hour or more!

For dinner we went to a classic 'canteen'. Had Guille not told me how good the empanadas were I never would have gone in. It sure doesn't look like much from the outside but inside was packed with porteƱos dining on good, cheap food in a very cozy space. It's so great to have a local tour guide!!!

We chose the canteen because it was close to La Viruta, our destination for the evening. We were too late for the class but once Sergio and my friend Martino showed up, it was more about visiting and getting in a few dances with them. Bringing friends is a sure fire way to get asked to dance! Yay! I obviously had a nice time because I didn't get home until 3AM. It's amazing how much more fun I have when I leave my watch at home!!!

While at La Viruta I learned another lesson about counterfeit bills as I tried to pay for drinks. I had seen fake 100$ notes and even 10$ notes (seriously why bother for ~$2.50?!?!) and knew how to spot them. Turns out I hadn't been diligent about checking all the bills coming my way. Unknowingly I had acquired a fake 20$ note. The people at the bar were kind enough to give me another lesson on how to spot them.

So far I know that you have to:
-check for the face in the front left hand side of the bill
-check that the metallic stripe dashes connect to make a full line when held up to the light
-really feel the texture of the bill, paper from fake bills feels thicker
-AND...check every bill as you get it without apology - what a shame
Compared to real bills, the fake 20$ is easy to spot, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment