Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter on the moon!

I felt a good dose of homesickness this morning as I thought of my niece and nephew on an Easter egg hunt. I saw pictures on Facebook from a family dinner I'd missed. There are definitely pros and cons to traveling for several months.

My version of Easter this year was spent with Sara, Peter and Pernille as we went to check out the Valley Of The Moon.

Ischigualasto National Park is one of 8 UNESCO sites in Argentina.
Check it out on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valle_de_la_Luna_(Argentina)

It is a pretty special place and worth the 4 hour drive there from San Juan.

To tour through the park you take a mandatory guided tour in convoy along the 40km of dirt paths. It's a start-stop tour with about seven key sites they allow people access to. In all it took about 3.5 hours to complete.

It reminded me a lot of Drumheller and the Alberta Badlands. Sure enough they've found dinosaurs here too. The landscape is bleak but incredibly photogenic and we all went a bit crazy snapping photos.

Here is a small selection of some of the MANY pictures I took:


The convoy:

The reason it got the name 'Valle de la Luna':

The concretions:

The 'hoodoos':

The submarine:

The hongo (mushroom):

The stunning red rocks:

The wildlife:

No comments:

Post a Comment