Saturday, April 14, 2012

Tigre

Despite being on public transportation for nearly four hours today, Guille and I managed to fit in a lot!

The plan was to go out to Tigre on the Tren de la Costa. It took a couple of buses to get to the (fabulous!) train station in Olivos. The journey was a standing-room-only, 25 minute train ride to the Tigre Delta. It was a beautiful journey but standing in crowded aisles for that time was challenging.
It does seem that necessity is the mother of invention though! Along the way I came up with my million dollar idea which I can't mention here until I copyright it! Ha!

The afternoon was spent as expected 'sploring around the famous town of Tigre: eating, drinking, shopping, wandering, people watching, etc. I was supposed to be shopping for gifts for other people but nothing jumped out at me and I didn't want to buy more things people won't use. Fortunately my mother told me that the only thing she wants me to bring back from Argentina is ME. Can do.

Oddly enough, I never have problems finding things I like at markets though! Guille had told me Tigre was mate central so I purchase my first mate here...and second! What can I say? They were so cheap here - I couldn't help myself.

The delta is a great place to go to check out the Rio de la Plata by boat but we didn't make the time to do that. Instead we managed to appreciate the muddy waters from the shore and get a bit wet doing it!

We got off the train back to town at San Isidro. The station which had seemed so lively when we passed by on the way to Tigre was dead when we came back. The cathedral beckoned to us instead and we wandered through the square and up the hill to see it. Along the way we found a market and some musicians serenading an appreciative, mate drinking crowd...
...and a fan who'd had a little too much wine!

Once back in the city Sergio picked us up and we went to Guerrin, apparently THE best pizza joint in Buenos Aires. There's something to that claim. It was absolutely packed with locals and the Corrientes theatre crowd, along with a few gringos who've been let in on the secret. It's busy there but that only seems to have added to its charm.

Indeed the pizza was delicious. We left with very full bellies bordering on the "I'm never going to eat again" feeling we all know and love!

No comments:

Post a Comment