Wednesday, May 2, 2012

I've been meaning to...

...do a lot of things in Buenos Aires. I've always had plenty of time...until now. Gulp. I hear the clock ticking so it was time to make the time to see the things I'd been meaning to.

I was on my own today to zig and zag in the general direction of the green part of the city north of Avenida Del Libertador. The bus dropped me at the Plaza Italia and I headed up to the Parque 3 De Febrero as the first destination.

There were tons of runners, bladers, and cyclists out enjoying the sunshine. The rose park, El Rosedal, was unfortunately closed up for some reason but I enjoyed my wander around the lake and popped in to the Museo Sivori. The museum was a manageable size and was full of funky modern art some of which I really liked.

The next stops were the Japanese Garden...

....and MALBA. MALBA is the museum of latin american art in Buenos Aires. The building is sleek and modern with three floors to explore. I didn't linger too long any any one piece and am certain I didn't give some pieces more than a passing glance. There were some fascinating pieces which really caught my eye. Then there were many others that were just plain weird or disturbing confirming that I'm not a huge contemporary art fan. Just like with opera, I'm optimistic it'll grow on me or I'll have some epiphany about it! One day...

I opted to have lunch in the MALBA restaurant. It was very tasty, but on the expensive side. I needed the energy as I still had much ground to cover. The Floralis Generica, a gigantic steel flower which open in the morning and close at night, was next.

Once I'd seen all of the above, it was time to switch gears and get into shopping mode to pick up a few things before I head home.

By the time I got home at 19h, I was shattered! It's just as well that Guille's birthday dinner was going to be homemade instead of going out to a restaurant. We had malfatis and pankekes con dulce. Yum yum. While I still got to bed earlier than I would have if we'd gone out to a restaurant, 2AM was still late, especially since I was catching a ferry to Montevideo early the next morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment