Friday, May 4, 2012

Montevideo

Today was site-seeing day. Javier and I started the day at the Solis Theatre.

There was a photography exhibit that was worth checking out before moving on to see Palacio Slavo, the city's tallest building.

Then we hopped on a bus to Parque Rodo which was a little oasis in the city. It has a lake with paddle boats and lots of green space which I always love.

After we stopped for lunch we headed down to the Costanera, the seaside boardwalk. While there are lots of apartment buildings along the main road, the area has a really nice vibe to it. It's not obnoxious like Cancun or anything. It didn't hurt that it was a glorious day! Summer-like in Montevideo. Winter-like in Colonia. What a difference a week makes!

Our final stop, before heading back to the ferry terminal, was the 'El Cabildo', the old town hall. I enjoyed seeing old photos of Plaza Constitucion and the some ancient artifacts, but I admit I expected more. From what Javier said, Uruguayans don't dwell too much on the past. Many don't know much about their own history so perhaps it's not surprising the Cabildo was a bit lean on history and memorabilia.

While it was a long way for a short amount of time, it was nice to see more of Uruguay and hang out with Javier. Besides, I really wanted to take advantage of my time here. I can't believe it, but Operation Penguin ends in 48 hours when I get on a plane bound for North America. How strange it will be to be Home again!

No comments:

Post a Comment