Saturday, April 7, 2012

San Juan

Mendoza is an oasis in a desert. There should be a law against renting cars without air-conditioning! Argh. It was a hot, though fortunately short drive to San Juan, 170km north of Mendoza. It was a full car with Sara and the Danish couple from school, Peter and Pernille.

Every town in the country has 100m x100m blocks in a regular grid, more or less. It's amazing. The majority of streets are one way streets. It seems so orderly in theory. And yet! Each intersection has different rules regarding rights-of-way and getting around is tricky. Once I learned where I was going and the route I needed to take, by virtue of paper maps and excellent co-pilots (the GPS they rented us was a dud), it got easier navigating around town.

A bit later on in the afternoon we went for a drive to Ullum Dique - a dam in the hills. It was a stunning drive once we got out of town.

We found a spot to go for a hike and hiked up to see the sunset.

It was nice to MOVE. I've become quite the sloth on this holiday and I know my body is ready to get back to its normal routine as I've been craving going for runs again. Now THAT'S a sign!

No comments:

Post a Comment